We are seeking candidates to join our Digital Placemaking team for a flagship project with a globally recognised client.
The Digital Placemaking and Research teams at The Oval Partnership conduct research involving the use and visualization of near real-time data sets generated by urban networks, cities and their citizenry. The digital revolution is layering expanding systems of cameras, communication devices, micro-controllers and sensors over our environment, enabling entirely new ways to imagine, monitor, and understand our cities. The value of these digital systems that blanket urban space reaches far beyond the various components’ intended purposes: mobile phone networks reveal social and economic patterns, tracking systems highlight global material flows, and digitally-monitored transportation modes expose human mobility routes.
The Oval Partnership is seeking candidates to fill a position involving the graphic visualization of datasets provided by various industries and public entities, including but not limited to telecommunications, transportation, and urban planning. Appropriate candidates may come from a variety of academic backgrounds and experiences.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with architects, urbanists and data scientists to identify research questions and aggregate data in an actionable way
- Design data visualisation tools or platform for a variety of projects
- Prototype these tools (both the front and back-end) through an iterative process
- Evaluate the usability and the usefulness of these tools with designers, clients and potential users
- Create or contribute to animations and videos based on data provided from research projects
Preferred qualifications: Master’s degree in interaction or computation design, computer and information sciences, architecture, media arts and sciences, or equivalent.
A combination of some or all of the following skills is preferred:
- Advanced knowledge of visualization techniques and user interface design
- Ability to design in the browser
- Proficiency with relational and document-oriented databases (mySQL, MongoDB, postgreSQL) and NodeJS
- Proficiency with map-based libraries (Leaflet, Mapbox, CartoDB), D3.js and ThreeJS
- Demonstrated experience with collaborative research methods
We invite interested applicants to submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A motivation letter stating the applicant’s interest in working with Oval and in particular including: research areas and/or projects of particular interest within the given scope, key relevant competencies of the applicant, dates of availability
- CV and portfolio f sample work attached
- An applicant should be ready to provide letters of recommendation or contacts of provided references upon request
Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidates’ skills and experience. Additional information about Digital Placemaking at The Oval Partnership and its projects is available at www.ovalpartnership.com. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
The Oval Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer